All of us who are enthusiasts of smoking pot has run into a new phenomenon, a new interest in a weed resin concentrate that goes by many names, including weed wax, dabs, shatter, hash oil, and butane hash oil (which uses butane whereas other forms of bud waxing use a different solvent or other methods). If you are new to the idea of dabbing, you may have seen pictures of a nice honey-like dab and wondered Where can I get weed wax? or How do you make wax from weed? In this article, we will find out what is the drug wax made of and how to make wax dabs.
What is weed wax (THC dabs)
Before we get into how to make dab wax, let’s have a quick glimpse into what it is. Weed wax or dabs is resin extracted from marijuana which is potent and concentrated. It is usually smoked or vaporized (though sometimes the purest forms are ingested). People smoke it, use water pipes, or vaporize when they make THC wax for personal use or purchase it from a vendor. Some simply smoke it from a bong like a regular weed.
Why does everyone want to make cannabis wax?
The reason everyone wants to make pot wax or purchase it is that the THC is more concentrated. Those who know how to make pot wax can get up to a 20% yield from their bud with pure THC making up to 80% of the yield. That is like extracting only pure THC and powerful cannabinoids and leaving all the cellulose, irritants, and sugar behind. That produces a stronger, faster, potentially cleaner and even more hallucinogenic effect.
Respect the THC wax
Like any herb, this potent form of THC must be used with care. These are some pros and cons:
- Pace yourself. You will be taking lighter tokes of a small ‘dab’ of your weed wax and taking careful note of the effects so that you don’t get too high and begin to hallucinate. Overdose is believed to be non-fatal but can lead to extreme discomfort or dangerous actions.
- Don’t blow yourself up. If you make THC dabs using flammable solvents like butane, you could burn your property or yourself (use safer methods like Rosin Tech) unless you are extremely well experienced in chemistry.
- Go solventless, if possible. Although many of the solvents are removed or harmless with solvent-extracted weed wax, solvent left in the final product can irritate the throat or lungs, though there are few reports of this.
- Pain is gone. Medical users claim pain is blasted away like never before.
- Get higher. Recreational users and Psychonauts will find a stronger and more hallucinogenic high.
- Treats withdrawals. There are anecdotal reports it may cure withdrawals of stimulants, alcohol, and opiates.
- It only takes a little. A very small amount can treat pain and other problems for a longer period of time compared to traditional treatments.
How to make wax dabs
There are two basic ways to make weed wax. We recommend users carefully educate themselves on these methods and make sure they are legal in your area before using them.
Method #1: Rosin-Tech *our choice*
Rosin-Tech is a simple, solvent-less means of producing weed wax. We recommend this method because it is simple and does not involve solvents. It can also be done by non-professionals. And you only need the following materials:
- Parchment paper
- Razor blade
- Weed, dried bud, hash
- Flat iron, hair straightener with digital temperature display
- Oven mitten
How to make dab wax: Rosin Technique steps:
- Begin by trying 2 grams broken into 4 pieces
- Heat flat iron to 330
- Fold your unsticky parchment paper in half, place your half gram nugget in the middle
- Use your mitten, and press the nugget for 3 seconds.
- Carefully remove. There will be a small resin stain made from the bud. Now move the bud to another spot and press again for 3 seconds to make another stain.
- Your bud should be rather thin and you should have two good stains of resin with a good yield.
- Use your razor blade to scrape away the stains of rosin and they are ready to smoke!
This method is incredibly simple and can be used by the casual user at home; however, professionals also use large presses with the same method to produce large quantities of quality resin which is solvent-free and just as strong as butane-extracted weed wax.
Method #2: Solvent Methods: Butane Hash Oil (BH0)
The most popular solvent method is done using butane as a solvent. It produces excellent yields but is more complicated and a bit less safe for beginners than Rosin-Tech. We will give a general overview of how this is done, but doing it will require outside research on this site and elsewhere and general knowledge of chemistry. The use of flammable butane can cause burns, fires, and explosions. This should be tried only by well-supplied professionals with the use of butane done only outside, as the flammable gas can settle and ignite in enclosed spaces.
Here’s what you need:
- razor blade
- 1 oz. of weed
- Extraction tube, from a headshop
- Parchment paper
- Butane canister
- Dish, Pyrex
- Electric range
- Double boiler
- single-stage vacuum pump, 3cfm
Read more about how to make hash oil.
Step1. Pack your weed in the extractor
The extractor should have a large hole at one end, and several holes and a filter at the other end. You can purchase this from a head shop or online. Grind your weed and pack it tight into the extractor as in the picture above.
Step 2. Spray your butane into the packed extractor.
Go outside and spray the whole 8 to 12 oz. can of butane into the large hole of your weed packed extractor, with the other end aimed down at your pyrex dish. This will catch the dripping shatter, BHO, or solvent-made weed wax. It will pass through the filter and out the holes into the dish. The butane is flammable and any spark can ignite an explosion so complete this step far away from any building or material which may catch fire.
Step 3. Fully evaporate the butane with your double boiler till it’s only weed wax
Place your Pyrex dish atop the filled double boiler on the range, preferably outside or in a fire-safe location. The butane is still flammable and should meet no flames so don’t use a gas stove or any type of ignition. Rather, the electric range placed outside or warm water brought from the kitchen and outside into the boiler can be used. The butane evaporates at room temperature. The boiler should be outside on a safe surface to flamelessly heat the Pyrex dish with warm water and cause the butane to evaporate out of the weed wax. When the wax stops bubbling, the butane is evaporated. Make sure all the butane is evaporated to make your weed wax pure and safe. Now you should have a semi-solid waxy resin which is essentially a finished product, but to be on the safe side, proceed to the next step.
Step 4. Use your vacuum pump to clear away the rest of the butane
To be certain your weed wax is butane free, use your single-stage vacuum pump to suck out the remaining air and butane from your now perfectly pure weed wax. The last step is to enjoy your powerful weed wax!
This is the traditional way of extracting the weed wax, yet it is somewhat dangerous and explosions and other mishaps have occurred and been reported to authorities. This method should only be tried by professionals in places where it is legal. The Rosin-Tech method is equally or more effective and carries no risk of contamination with solvents or explosions. We recommend the new and exciting aforementioned Rosin-Tech method for most casual medical and legal users.
- 1 What is weed wax (THC dabs)
- 2 Why does everyone want to make cannabis wax?
- 3 Respect the THC wax
- 4 How to make wax dabs
- 4.1 Method #1: Rosin-Tech *our choice*
- 4.2 Method #2: Solvent Methods: Butane Hash Oil (BH0)